After decades of using Windows for my desktop machine, I switched to Linux Mint 18.1 Serena in late January. This change was mainly due to the fact that Windows Vista was going EOL in April. Other than a couple of minor issues, this change has gone well. Much of the desired functionality for this new installation is in place, with the remaining work being done slowly over the months.
Additional work on the Fedora server:
Koji command now times out to prevent boot failure.
Changed to NFS instead of Samba for more stable file sharing.
Removed nice from scripts in attempt to lower load averages.
Admin page now has check for any lost+found files.
Now also use Google DNS for public IP check.
IP checks use common include file.
Removed Nagios firewall check.
Let’s Encrypt cannot have multiple lines for domains in INI file.
Improved Let’s Encrypt footer logo.
No longer use xinetd for telnet.
Short stop timeout for telnet server to prevent shutdown delays.
Fixed several minor errors on admin pages.
Last month I installed F23. I was also able to use DNF to add the packages in use for Fedora 22 and earlier. As with any Fedora version upgrade, it was accompanied by at least one installer crash. The Fedora Installation Checklist saw the usual tweaks as well.
Changes in the last couples of months:
Available updates now suppresses duplicates.
Enabled HTTP/2 in the Apache HTTPD server.
Removed ownCloud since it was not being correctly rendered in Firefox.
Updated to Nagios 4. Upgrade was initially unsuccessful due to the new /var/log/nagios/rw/ directory was not created.
Disabled several unneeded services.
Enabled line and column information in Nano.
Disabled SSLv3 in Apache.
Small changes to administrative check script.
Minor change to Dovecot Nagios check script.
Filesystem check now cached to avoid long-time hang after reboot.
Beefed up my LAMP security.
Created Nagios Dovecot check script.
Created Nagios check for /boot diskspace.
Added “skip_if_unavailable = 1” to hwinfo yum repo (RPM Sphere) to prevent error.
I continued to work on the CentOS 7 installation. I was able to install VLC media player from repos. VLC is essential for me to even consider changing to CentOS. For now, I remain with Fedora.
Numerous additional things for August:
Nagios now checks the firewall.
Admin page now alerts if reboot is needed.
Kernels page displays one column when viewed with mobile browser.
Bolded running kernel on kernels page.
Koji kernel script error examples use current version.
Disabled server signature for admin pages to prevent leak on failed login.
Admin page versions now generated by function.
Fixed Nagios admin check script bug.
Small administrative check script improvement.
Fixed minor bugs on admin page 1.
This is a list of the many changes since Thanksgiving:
WordPress notes admin page now has “there are no notes yet” message.
Clear button on wordpress notes page erases all notes on page.
Users connecting from unknown hosts no longer generate Nagios email warnings.
Internet IP now changes color with multiple tries.
Moved MariaDB database backups to nightly backup script.
New koji kernel flag deleted when the new kernel is running.
Server signatures only appear on admin pages to increase security.
Default text editor now set in global bashrc.
Fixed file count on directory listing script.
Improved the Fedora upgrade checklist and related changes.
No longer automatically verify Plymouth theme since it may break GNOME.
Minor change to grub backup checks.
Fixed minor bug on kernels page.
Added check of Nagios service status information to admin page.
Added toggle display of Nagios service information to admin page.
Admin page program versions now include release.
Increased speed of version checks. Also now check versions more frequently.
Only allow admin access from virtual host.
Added extra level of protection for WordPress configuration file. Don’t allow directory listings in WordPress folders.
Stopped Plymouth theme cron check from running too frequently and using too many resources.
Admin page Nagios check now includes host names, service names and flapping status. Also more cleanup on admin page.
Problems and errors now appear first on admin page, otherwise order is the same as before. Also cleaned up the code by organizing most checks into functions. And added flapping check to Nagios status.
Administrative Web page now checks Nagios status, and either reports any errors or all is OK. Removed result check of administrative check script. May further improve Nagios status check by running it every ten minutes from cron instead, and just check the result from the Admin page.
Installed and configured Drupal7. Fixed log error by removing Drupal cron file.
Changed Admin page and Nagios script to use dyndns.org for remote IP address check to increase reliability.
Reworked karma check script to output which installed packages need karma. Script now ignores garbage output and “ignored: ” lines. Created karma bash script which is aliased to karma. Karma checks are run four times daily, now in the background. Admin page now has link to view packages waiting for karma.
Nagios admin checks now include date and time.
Changed from file_exists() to is_readable() in many PHP scripts.
Added check for empty passwords. Nagios now reports result of script.
Configured PHP to use the mysqli extension. This should have been this way since the project strongly recommends it.
To increase security, Nagios must now be accessed via the administrative door.
Also to increase security, moved Webmin off of port 8080.
Made several improvements to Nagios service checks. Added a check for POP. Downloaded and installed a python script to improve telnet checks. Telnet check now looks for the “Fedora” string in the banner. One or two other minor tweaks as well.